Soldiers Monument (1866)

Calvary Veterans Park, Calvary Cemetery, St. Calixtus Division, Laurel Hill Boulevard & Review Avenue, Long Island City, Queens; sculpted by Daniel Draddy, fabricated by Maurice J. Power.















































Yesterday, I "marched" to Calvary. The 1866 Civil War monument at Calvary Cemetery in Long Island City to be exact. I didn't even know this memorial existed till about three days ago. But once I found out it existed I literally couldn't wait to see it. 

The Soldiers Monument is actually in Calvary Park, a 40x40 foot plot of land that is technically a city park located inside a giant cemetery. No signage inside the place indicating where this monument was, so I asked a cemetery worker who pointed me in the general direction. Finally found it after wandering through the Necropolis several times and I was not disappointed. The day turned into an 8-mile round trip trek around the very perimeter of Queens.

Comments

Popular Posts